plant?

what is a good plant to try to grow with your kids? I was wanting me and the kids to start our own little garden put I am not sure what to start with. they are 17 month, 3 yrs, and 4yrs. If you have any great ideas please let me know!!!!

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we did strawberries with our 3 yr old this year. she enjoyed that a lot.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You could plant daffodil bulbs now. They will come up in the spring.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It all depends on where you live. I'm in south Florida so it's always a time to plant something. If you life up north, bulbs are nice but they won't come up until spring which is a long time for little ones! The most wonderful plants are ones that attract butterflies! So the children not only have the fun of planting a plant, but have constant activity with the butterflies. They can even learn about the stages of a butterfly! There is a great site called: http://www.thebutterflysite.com that will tell you plants for your area and much more. If you are in an area that is too late to plant, cut a potato in half, put about 4-6 toothpicks about half way up the potato and suspend over a glass of water. Have the potato touching the water about 1/4" to 1/2". The grow lots of leaves quickly are are fun for kids!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Marigolds are pretty easy to grow from seed. And they usually are error free. Also we did an amaryllis bulb every year around Christmas time. It is SO beautiful when it blooms. I always bought one extra in case one did not do well. And paper white narcisus bulbs are fun too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• ohh I second the strawberries idea (just be aware they can over take a garden, so be sure to properly gate them off from anywhere you don't wan them to grow). But they are soo yummy to eat on top of fun and easy to grow.

A cherry tree is also a great idea (just get the good cherries, lol) or pears, or apples, etc.

These are both good plants because they come back year after year.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010