How long does ground beef stay "good" in the freezer?

I've heard as long as you freeze it before the "best by" date it'll last... but how long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yeah, it should be good. It said on that site it will stay good indefinitely (forever), but will begin to lose flavor after 4 months. You should be fine!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• at least a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• "For longer freezer storage, wrap in heavy duty plastic wrap, aluminum foil, freezer paper, or plastic bags made for freezing. Ground beef is safe indefinitely if kept frozen, but will lose quality over time. It is best if used within 4 months. Mark your packages with the date they were placed in the freezer so you can keep track of storage times"

This was taken from this site;

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/ground_beef_and_food_safety/index.asp

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• So two or three months should be okay, right? (lol) I don't think its been in there much longer than that - we haven't even been living here more than four months....

Is there any way I can tell if its not safe to eat when I go to cook it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Oh, yes...you can tell by the smell! If it smells weird & not yummy, then it could be bad. It should smell good when cooking it. I can't explain the smelll...but i remember i bought some meat at the store once & it smelled like ass when i cooked it. I threw it out! I never froze it though. I think i just bought bad meat...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010