What to do?

November of 2008 I had my (now) ex-husband arrested for domestic violence, a restraining order was put in place, I filed for divorce. Now almost two years later he is contacting my 17 year old niece trying to find out where I live under the pretenses he found some of my stuff and wants to return it. I have lived pretty happily for the past two years with out being abused and I can not think of anything of mine he has as while he was in jail I went through the house and got what I wanted out. Neither of us lived in the house after he got arrested. Is the retraining order still in effect? He is remarried with a new baby, why can't he just leave me alone? There are no children from this marriage so it's not to check on the kids.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Make sure everybody knows that he is not allowed to know where you live. Make sure to keep a copy of the protection order with you at all times in case you need to call the police if he finds you.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't see any reason why he needs to know where you live... I would check on the restraining order, I thought usually they are for a limited time only. But tell your niece NOT to give him any information. You've moved on, you're happy, and since you don't think he actually has anything you might want, why open old wounds?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Check your court paper work on the restraining order in some cases they will grant 3-5 years orders.. you can also go back to court too.. sounds like he is being nosey, be very careful.. if he is smart he will leave you alone!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Tell the parents (your brother or sister) this and if he contacts them again about stuff tell them to drop it off at there place and they will make sure you get it but that you don't wish any contact with him.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Check on the time limit on the restraining order. Tell your niece to absolutely not give him any information, unless it is to tell him he has nothing you want, so leave you alone !! Good luck !! And file another restraining order, just to be safe !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010