Recipe calls for espresso powder or Starbucks VIA instant cofee. Can I....

substitute brewed coffee grounds? I was a cheapskate at the store today and didn't want to spend $3 on the instant Starbucks stuff. I have several different Starbucks ground flavors here at home already. Can I use them or will they not work into the recipe as the instant would have?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• A cheaper brand of instant coffee would work just fine.

However, used coffee grounds most likely would not work well in the recipe. They would not dissolve like instant coffee will. So you would end up with coffee grounds in the finished product.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't instant coffee will dissolve, coffee grounds won't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yeah, that's basically what popped into my stupid head as soon as I left the store's parking lot. I suck.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Well.. Depending on the recipe, maybe you can brew some really really strong coffee, and use it as a substitute. Depending of course on how much instant the recipe calls for. I'm assuming the instant is for coffee flavor added to the recipe. So, I would think, that you could brew up a cup of really strong coffee and add that in equal amount instead for that coffee flavor.

Of course. Be warned.. I just pulled that straight out of my behind.. LOL.. But it made sense to me :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Lol, thanks. Makes sense to me as well and I was toying with the idea. It's for a Pumpkin Spice Latte cheesecake recipe. Calls for 3 tsps of the coffee item. Since the coffee is going into the cheesecake part and not the crust I bet I could get away with brewing a bit...
    We shall see!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Good luck.

Hope it turns out scrumptious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You could use any instant coffee (but not coffee grounds).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Ok, so the cheesecake is made and cooled and being eaten. I brewed 2 scoops of pumpkin pie spice coffee grounds in like 1/2 cup of water then used 3 tsps of that in the recipe. I also used 1 packet of Nescafe instant coffee for good measure. I tasted the batter before I added the instant grounds and it didn't taste 'coffee' enough so the instant grounds seem to be necessary. Thanks all!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010