Any one else have achild using the flovent hfa? If so are you comfortable with he/she using this medicine?

msmitch

Asked by msmitch at 9:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 year-old has been using it for just over a year, since he learned to use an inhaler instead of a nebulizer. (He had used a similar medication with the nebulizer.) I am not worried about the steroid medicine because it doesn't get transported throughout his bloodstream. Inhaled steroids, as well as steroid nasal sprays such as flonase, stay on the mucous membranes and affect only the local cells. Besides, uncontrolled asthma can kill! It is important to me that my child can run around on the playground and play sports like the other kids, and not be held back by his asthma.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 9:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Great answer yarnjunkie!!! My daughter is on flovent hfa in the off season, right now we are back to the biggie meds with the cold coming in.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• thank you for your answers, the allergist prescribed the flovent to my son, he has exercised-induced asthma along with allergies...so thank you again for putting my anxieties at ease...the allergist just seems like she doesnt understand that I am worried about you know medicine i dont know about
    msmitch

Answer by msmitch at 10:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't see a problem with it. My son has been on it for nearly 2 years now and it has helped us to keep his asthma in control. He also takes singulair and claritan and we just started a new nasel spray called veramist. He has really bad allergies and asthma.... the Flovent was a great addition and we have had to use the nebulizer less.
    tagable

Answer by tagable at 12:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2008