How do i manage my diabetes while im pregnant?

I have type 1 diabetes, and have had it for 14 years now. I am 28 weeks pregnant, and im 18 years old. I know that if you are a diabetic then youre supposed to start a year early to get your sugar under control and such before concieving, but, like most 18 year old pregnancies, we were not planning this. It came as a surprise. How do i keep my sugar under control? And how do i stop myself from raiding the pantry and consuming my cravings? I am currently on the insulin pump and i have heard its not good for the baby, is this true? Thank you so much for your advice and things. I appreciate it.

JessicaNecole

Asked by JessicaNecole at 2:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You just have to eat healthy, and test yourself 4 times a day. I have GD right now and hate it b/c I love sweet stuff. You have to cut carb and only have very very little of it. Hope you like to eat meats and veggies, b/c that's what I eat most of the time and maybe one fruit here and there. Everything you touch has carb that frustrating. You ned to see a dietrician they help me a lot with the meal plans and education on what not to eat and what's ok to eat. Hope everything will go well for you.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Talk to your doctor to set up a healthy eating plan. That would be the best person to talk to.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yeah. ive been hospitalized 2 times because of it. But i do love veggies! oh and salad! i dont eat red meat, just chicken and turkey and such. but thank ya'll for the advice!
    JessicaNecole

Comment by JessicaNecole (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Even though cravings are a true part of pregnancy, you can also choose NOT to give in to those cravings. Diabetes before pregnancy vs. Gestational diabetes -- THIS IS FOR YOUR BABY! You gotta do what you gotta do and eating healthy is just part of it. You are also likely to not put on as much weight with diabetes. Currently I am in my 3rd trimester with only 9 lbs put on since getting preggo and the doctor is absolutely thrilled about it. I meet all weight/height requirements for my baby so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't put on 30-70lbs lol
    rachealbyrd

Answer by rachealbyrd at 1:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2010