Left or Right

At what age can you tell what hand a baby will be Left or Right? we have a 4 almost 5 month old and she will only use her left hand. and with our first DD she used her right hand. But she is 6 so i can't remember that far back. thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's way to young. Usually around the time they can feed themselves but it can switch. My daughter always grabbed things with her left hand as a baby but now that she's a toddler she uses her right hand to eat and drink. and write.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't remember either. But you might have a little leftie! I am also a leftie.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have heard that it is pretty definitive by age 4. Of course with some kids you can tell a lot earlier. My lefty was a lefty from a very early age - we knew by 18 months for sure. My middle child used both hands and looked like she might be a lefty but switched around age 3.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't think you can tell until they are older... closer to 2-3 years old
    With my son he has from a baby favored his left hand and leg until recently... now he's doing most things with his right... he just turned 2. We were sure he was a lefty... he played with his left hand, picked things up and ate foods all using his left and now it's all the opposite.
    Now, I'm not sure what he's going to be!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It is when they are 3 yrs old you see the preference on which hand they will use. Learned this in my child Development schooling.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i think my dd will be ambidextrious like her dad. but they tell me i won't know for sure for at least another year and she is 18 months now
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• 4 years old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• At that age they use both. It is too early to be able to tell.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010