Would you consider coffee just another temptation of the devil?

Ive been trying to stop drinking coffee but not for any religious reason. It makes my heart flutter and kinda panicky almost like I'm having a heart attack. Ive had my heart checked just to be on the safe side and my EKG results are fine. I just need to lay off the sugar and caffeine. Ive tried going without it and I can only make it one day. By day 2 I just have to have some or the rest of my day just sucks. What are your opinions? It really seems like another bad temptation along with drugs, alcohol and cigarettes .

ellegrl

Asked by ellegrl at 2:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you've been used to caffein and you cut out caffein, you can have withdrawl symptoms, as I found out when I tried to quit cold turkey. Just cut down, and see if you feel better. That should work. You could also, once you cut down some, try mixing regular coffee and decaf coffee, half and half. That worked for me. Now I feel better, no jumpiness, no getting up several times a night, and I still have the pleasure of drinking it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's any sort of evil temptation. I say so because of the fact that unlike other drugs or addictions, it usually doesn't lead people to do bad things. Also, in moderation, it has been proven to have health benefits. For example, a cup or two of coffee a day greatly reduces your risk of Alzheimer's.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree that it is a temptation. I think caffeine can be an addiction for some of us and it can have a negative effect on our lives.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Well, I can't stand the taste of coffee, so I can't really put myself in your place, heh. And I don't believe in the devil, but I do believe coffee (or rather, caffeine) is addictive. I know just cutting it off cold turkey can give you some vicious headaches and such. Personally, I'd try to build down. Have some coffee, but try to have less each day. And if you want to cut out the sugar, don't use it. Instead, maybe put some milk in there to sweeten it up some?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Ya, I know what you are saying. Go baby steps and try decaf and then try cutter back the sugar. Personally I’ve done decaf because I thought it was the caffeine that was affecting my sleep. NOT! It was something else. So, I just continue with my little habit as I don’t have a lot of bad vices.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• coffeeWhat every you do, don't convince the government that that coffee is bad, it's my one major weakness. But, I think everyone has one.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It would have to be from the devil because God would never have given us anything so nasty to drink :)
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• EEEVVVVILLLL!

tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No sugar and cream? Tastes like it came from the devil, lol.

For some, it can be an addiction, others, just a simple enjoyment.
    I fall into the latter category, but I have to be in the mood for it. And
    flavored coffees are my fave, yum!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010