Sex education --Do you teach your boys the same as you teach your girls?

Just curious here. When it comes to sex education (I firmly believe that parents should be talking to their kids about it and not just leaving it up to the school systems). Do you tell your boys the same thing you tell your girls?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 2:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Our children are still you but as a whole we will teach our daughter as well as both of our boys to stay pure. That being said, we will approach each one differently as boy and girls mature differently and face different issues sexually.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I only had a son.

But I would like to think, that if I had both a son & a daughter.. That yes. I would have taught them the same things, same way.

Both a son & a daughter would need to know the same things about sex. They would both need to know: proper names and functions of body parts, good touch bad touch, reprecussions/consequences of irresponsible sexual behaviour, how to be responsible, safer sex practices, STD's and all that comes along with them, unintended pregnancy and all that comes along with it, birth control and it's proper usage, respect for your partner their sexuality and their needs, respect for yourself and your own sexuality, understanding not only their own boundaries but other's boundaries as well....etc..etc.

Both sexes would need to know all of these things.Both sexes would have to deal with these issues. Both sexes would have to deal with the responsibility factor and reprecusion factors.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yep, sure did, gave them the info DH and I thought was necessary and answered any additional questions they had. Started early with them, because I just was not into glossing over the facts when all the cousins started coming along. Both (one boy & one girl) were taught that birth control is their responsibility, respect for themselves and any potential partners and to seriously consider the consequences of being a parent.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son is only 2, so anything I said right now would be lost on him, but I have EVERY intention of teaching him about sex, protection, etc early on, and yes, I'll do it the exact same way as I would a girl. I agree with you that parents should be responsible, not leave it up to the schools.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Basically yes. I didn't go into the whole female cycle thing with my son other than that a girl has a period and why, but other than that it was pretty much the same. I talk to them both about respecting their bodies and that of those they date. They are 9 and 10 so we haven't discussed birth control in depth yet (they know there is a pill that will keep a girl from getting pregnant), but I will be covering that with both of them before middle school.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Basically. I mean, you do have to change things up a little because obviously there is no risk of your son getting pregnant, instead he has to worry about getting HER pregnant, so I do change things up a little. But the lessons are all the same...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yup
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No. Boys and girls are different. They both go through puberty but in different ways so it is an entirely different experience for each. I taught my boys about using protection and respecting young women. Even when a girl says "yes" they should ask themselves if she I really ready. I am teaching my girls (oldest is 9) about their period and about respecting themself. Girls have to be taught independance and trusting themselves (boys more naturally know this) boys have to be taught more care and empathy (girl more naturally know this one!) So no I don't think they need to be taught the same.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yes i do
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think the difference is teaching a boy to respect woman and teaching a girl to respect herself.
    Unsocialized

Answer by Unsocialized at 10:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2010