How can I get my 12yr old daughter to be more respectful to her dad and I?

Stormy0225

Asked by Stormy0225 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take away all things that she enjoys and let her know she can start "earning" them back with respect.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a 12 yr old as well, What I do in responce to dis respect is I limit things she can do ie: friends, football games, after school activities and so forth. If she isnt responcible enough to make good desioions on how she treats me I cant trust her to make the right decisions while im not around. Good luck to you!
    mmarchey

Answer by mmarchey at 4:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Taking away activities that tweens enjoy works wonders. Respect starts at home. If a child is disrespectful then they have to learn that it is unacceptable and not tolerated whether you are at home or away from your parents. My advice is to get it under control before the teenage years start. It may be a challenge but its better late than never. Good luck!!
    truly.a.taurus

Answer by truly.a.taurus at 5:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Demand it. Respect is also a 2 way street, they need to be respected too. Respect is something that should be taught and demanded from the very beginning. Take EVERYTHING but their bed and clothes away, they then earn items back by being respectful to you and their father. My son is 14 and knows that I do NOT tolerate disrespect and when he is disrespectful, he knows he is in trouble. Every year, I have teachers comment on how respectful he is, to them and to other kids; espeically the underdogs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2010