How do I tell help my daughter tell her 3 year old she is separated?

My little 3 year old grandaughter seems upset when she goes to her father's house. She says, " I want my Mommie!" or "I like the 'yellow' house better!" SHould my daughter explain to her anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i doubt she would truly understand it. You have to realize that this little girl is going through a very rough time right now and is very confused. Next time she has to go to Daddy's house just have Mom say "ok honey remember Mommy will see you soon. Have a good time with Daddy." Maybe it will help. Maybe it wont.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my dd starting doing that out of no were..u bet your ass i investigated it
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 9:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• When my ex and I were going thru the divorce, I just told my son (who was 2 when it started) that mommy and daddy just didn't get along anymore so it's better that we live in different homes. He shrugged it off. Sometimes he throws a fit about going to daddy's for visits or sometimes coming home from visits (he likes playtime daddy better then discipline mommy......LOL)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You could tell your daughter to let her child know that it is okay to love both Mommy and Daddy. The child at 3 has already picked up on the tension and is aware of something not being right between them. She is upset and confused. Let her know it is okay to be mad and upset. Make a big deal out of how neat it is that now she has 2 homes and 2 bedrooms. Then explain that she gets to visit Daddy on some days and Mommy on others and that they both love her a lot. It works better if she can hear this from both parents supporting the other parent, if they are mature enough to talk and think about their child first in the middle of this. Give her extra love and attention and be ready for some misbehavior or regression in pottying. It is their way of controlling their uncontrollable circumstances.
    Anonymous