Do I say something

My dd came from school and said she doesnt know how to stand up to a bully but she relaly wanted too and she feels bad. Basically a sweet little boy was at the lunch table and the boys were telling him he is fat. Does he gain 5lbs a week? How can he weigh that much?! My dd tried t say they shouldnt say that but she said they just kept doing it. She said the boy sat with his head hanging down thru lunch and she knew his feelings were hurt. She said no one takes the time to get to know how nice he is because of how he looks. She was very upset. The kids are 8yrs old. The class has had ALOT of problems with kids not getting along. Mydd said the kid who starts the teasing will intimidate (growl in your face) all week if you tell on him and everyone is scared of him. He also steals stickers off other peoples good behavior chart and puts them on his own chart. I have spoken to teacher once about the girls not getting along..

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Should i call the teacher and tell her what I have heard about this situation? Send a msg to the mother of the boy (she is on my fb but I dont know her that well)? Go to th principal (teacher is in 1st year of teaching and already said she is struggling wih the kids tattling constantly and bickering)? Or mind my own business?

ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• wow.. i would a ask to talk to the teacher.. and ask them if they can do something about this. if not i want take her out of the class!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i would say something because at 8 it will only get worse as he gets older.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• oh lord am i not looking forward to my kids getting to this age! i wouldn't know what i would do honestly but just reading it makes me mad and feel bad for the boy being teased. ever seen the movie the hand that rocks the cradle? there is a part with the crazy woman confonts a bully bothering the little girl in the movie. she basically confronts him pretty aggressively. that is how I WISH I could handle these nasty little kids these days. i think you should have another chat with the school. too many kids are turning into killers and hurt themselves after being bullied. GL
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She goes to a great private school and it is the only option in town. The public school has much greater issues here. Their is only 1 class of 3rd graders so moving her is not an option. I think the kids are from good families but are spoiled and need someone to put their foot down. The dynamic of this particular class is the problem The other grades in the school arent having these problems.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i do think you should discuss with the teacher, and even suggest that she may need a little outside help for a little while. this is a classroom management issue with the teacher. she needs to discuss management techniques with the principal and other teachers in the school.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Do you know any of the other parentsof these kids that are getting bullied? If so, I would speak with all of them and ask that all of you as a group meet with the principal and the teacher together so that your concerns be addressed. This bullying thing can really lead to serious problems. When I was in school we teased, got teased, and I can remember some pretty bad stuff too but it seems that we all took it and dealt with it so I think it really wasn't as bad as what can happen now. There are more and more kids committing suicide and going in schools and shooting people and it always seems to come back to years of bullying. I don't think "minding your own business" is something to do here. There may be other parents that feel the same as you and just don't know what to do so you should try to talk with them.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I feel like i have to speak with someone and my heart breaks so bad for this boy that everytime I almost pick up the phone to call the school I feel near tears. I may just email the principal so I can organize my thoughts and then let her read it and call me.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• good thoughts sue..i wouldnt say anything to the boy's mother. She will just feel attacked and be on the defensive. Talk with the teacher and if things do not improve go to the principal. This MUST be solved ASAP!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• By msging the boys mom I meant the boy who got bullied. Im sure he went home nad told her parents but you never know. I wonder if they know he is beng treated this way and they arent alone in dealing with it. I dont know the bullies parents but I do know he broke his little brothers arm this summer while wrestling with him. From what I understand he is very aggressive and intimidating.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010