baby born at 24 weeks gestation...know anyone who has had a baby born this early that has survived?

I have a friend whos water just broke and she is not quite 24 weeks pregnant. she is in the hospital on bedrest now. the are going to try to keep the baby in the womb for another 12 days, i believe that would put her at the 25 week mark. do you think her baby has a chance of living?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My mom's best friend Lana had a baby at 24 weeks 25 years ago! He was one of the first 24 weekers to survive. He is a healthy normal guy now.

I will say a prayer for your friend and her baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i think my doc told me the babies are viable after 24 weeks. prayers for ur friend.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 3:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• thank you both.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know of a little boy that was born at 25 weeks and he is 2 years old today and very smart! Prayers for your friend!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 3:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My siblings are quads....they were born at 24 weeks I believe... they are now happy and healthy 3 yr olds
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I had my first baby at 28 weeks. not as early as your friends but he survived and is now a healthy 4 year old!
    aangelmommie03

Answer by aangelmommie03 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Josie Duggar from 18 kids and counting was born at 24 weeks and is a live and well today.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes one of my friend was born around that time, she's 2 lbs at that time and surprisingly she survived and that was 30 years ago. So don't worry, hope your friend's baby will be fine
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The longer the baby stays in the womb the greater the chances of it surviving. At that stage, I think it's about 50/50. A lot of it will depend on the baby's health and the hospital it's in. An there are always complications that can arise for a premie for the first few years of life.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am praying for you and your friend... My close friend had her baby early, and he survived 169 days. But he also had A LOT of complications with his heart, lungs, and even had sepsis...
    But while she was in the NICU with him, she met a lot of mothers and their babies have survived being born that early! It is possible!
    Just pray for that baby ti have all the strength ni the world, and pray for your friend too. She is going to need a lot of support. The NICU experience is filled with a lot of ups an downs, and she may start to isolate herself. Just stay close, offer anything she needs, and visit whenever you can. Sometimes my friend felt alone because not many of her friends would go to see him in the hospital. Not everyone can handle seeing a child so small with a ventilator, and IV's and feeding tubes... So if you can, and she asks, GO.
    Its going to be a hard road for all of you and I wish you the best of luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010