How should I tell my daughter

I am due to have my baby in 2 months but he is being adopted. I am worried about how to tell me five year old daughter. She knows that I am pregnant and she is expecting a baby to come home with us. I have no idea how to explain that the baby will go another family. Any suggestion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just tell her the truth...

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'd ask your adoption agency for resources and support
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Just tell her that your belly is a temporary home for right now for the baby and when he's born he'll go to his real home, to his mom and dad. When she gets old enough to understand you can tell her the truth on why you couldnt keep this baby. Good luck I hope things work out for you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You just have to be honest
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Tell her the truth in age appropriate terms or terms that she will understand. Each child has a different level of understanding , not all understanding is based on age. So talk to your daughter on her level, and explain what is going on.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Just tell her the truth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think telling her the Truth is your only option with something like this- It takes someone Very Special to give someone the chance to be a parent; that otherwise may never get the chance- i am sure your daughter will be So Proud of her Mommy when she can really understand- i know there has to be some kind of books that might help you explain it to her level- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would look into resources for surrogate mothers, even if that is not your situation, it would be very similar for a child whos mother is a surrogate.
    I would also make sure she knows that the plan for this baby is to go to a different family but that she is staying right here with her family... I could see a 5 year old getting the wrong idea and being worried that your going to give her away too.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2010