What would you have done? LONG

About 3 weeks ago I moved into a new place. I know the family who lived there before, the gal is best friends with my sister, and they actually just moved three houses down (the gals parents own a set of 8 homes in a row so both her and I are renting from them). Anyhow, last night this guy is knocking at my door at 2 am, calling for the husband of the people who moved. My SO told the guy he doesn't live here any more. The guy is lost, I think he was drunk, and started wondering around, crying, like he can't figure out what to do. He walked into my yard and sat down on the grass. I looked out the window and thought I recognized him. He started to leave and I went out (after he was about 100 yards away from me) and I yelled, "Hey, guy. What is your name?" When he yelled back, I realized I did know who he was (his wife is another of my sisters' best friends). He lives in another state, but comes here to visit his wife/child

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Me.

I would have told him that those people no longer live here . If he were outside and not leaving, I would ask him to leave.. That's about it.

Whatever issues they have going on, none of my business, interest or concern. My only interest would be him being drunk and knocking on my door.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• when he has time off of work. He is a nice guy, but I didn't know why he was there or what was going on, if he was drunk, mad, etc. So when he started walking back toward me I told him to stop, I told him I had a baby in the house and didn't want him walking toward me. I told him I would help him get where he needed to be, but not to come toward me. He stopped and apologized profusely for waking me. He was talking about his son being in trouble, and he needed to find Ross (the guy who used to live at my house). Because I knew who he was and I knew where the guy was who he was looking for, I told him where Ross lived. I even gave him Ross' phone number. My SO was livid with me, told me I was stupid for talking to the guy, I shouldn't have helped him, I didn't know if the guy would have hurt me, etc. I talked to my sister this morning and apparently he got where he needed to go so it worked out.

So, I'm just wondering if I
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• did the right thing, or if I should have just let the guy wonder around freaking out and crying? What would you have done?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Only you know if you did the right thing or not :-)

The right thing for one person, isn't always the right thing to another... :-)

Me.. I would have let him wander around and cry. As long as he was not doing it at my home. I would not have given him anyone's phone number or address. My thinking would be this: If those people had wanted him to know (since he, according to what you are sharing, is the father of a child who visits them monthly or so). he would have known where they were and how to get ahold of them.Not my place to give out anyone else's phone number or address to some drunk guy without their direct permission or okay. If he didn't know simply because he was drunk, I would have no way of knowing that, so I still would not be giving out other's info. Knowing who someone is, and knowing them are different.

That's just me. You (and anyone else) would have to handle it how they saw fit :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would have tried to help him. It sounds like he was drunk and stupid but not a danger. That's just me though, I would have been worrying all night if I let him wander off. I would be worried that I would hear he was hit by a car or died on the side of the road and then I would have to live with that. Plus, I just feel like if you can help someone you should. It wasn't like he was screaming and kicking your door drunk if that was the case I would just call the police. But wandering around and crying drunk??? Help him out. I think you did a good thing.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If I had the phone number of the guy he was trying to get ahold of, I would have called him directly (even at 2am) to make sure it was okay to give out his new address or asked him to come down to your house in person to talk to him.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree... I would called Ross in the middle of the night and told him the guy was on your lawn crying and looking for him.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think you did the right thing.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't believe you were in the wrong, I can say I would have done the same thing myself.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would have called the guy he was looking for and asked what I should do with this guy.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010