School Supplies - Elementary

I havent had a child in elementary school in a very long time. Now I and raising a grandchild that just started kindergarten.

Is anyone else IN SHOCK over how many items (and WHAT items) they demand????

Not only that, but the kids dont get to KEEP any of it, its ALL comunity property when the school year starts!!

And NOW the teacher is asking for MONEY for a project in the classroom!!

grammamamma

Asked by grammamamma at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in

• Nope.  But I went to Catholic school my entire life and we were always expected to provide all that stuff.  It was normal to bring crayons, pencils, markers, notebooks, paper, scissors, paper towels, tissues, soap, etc.  Although, we never did community supplies.  I hated the fact that we bought nice scissors for my son and he never got them back at the end of kindergarten.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Not in shock given the budgets teachers are working with. If the parents don't help, the teachers are having to pay for everything out of their own pockets, and it can add up to quite a bit. They're already underpaid as it is. I don't have a problem helping when and where I can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• There is nothing on our lists that I would have a complaint about and if you stock up during back to school time the stuff is cheap. I do any extra I can for the teachers as well.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That is life! Either we provide it or teachers have to suck it up and it comes out of their money. Most teachers are overworked and underpaid as it is, so I don't have a problem with buying school supplies or donating money to a project they are working on in class.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Thankfully, that's not the case in my daughter's school (kindergarten). Ridiculously expensive school supplies, but everything I bought belongs to her and she's going to use some of the stuff next year as well.

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't like the community supplies concept but I understand why they do it in our school. The kids don't have individual desks or any other place to keep their own supplies. One of my older kids was in a class where the teacher refused to spend any of her own money on anything for the classroom. It was a very boring year.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Due to schools having no money for supplies, we teachers have been forced to ask for more on the supply list. It's unfortunate, but the schools DO NOT give teachers a budget for what they need anymore. :( As one who taught 1st graders, trust me, some supplies being communal (glue-pencils-paper) PREVENTS me from sending notes home in November/December to Johnny's parents, saying he's already out of glue, or pencils, etc. I make sure the supplies are used sparingly, put away correctly, and treated properly. I NEVER have a student without a pencil. :)

Anonymous

• So over the weekend hubby, the munchkins, and I go yard saling.

One made us a bit upset to say the least.... It was a pair of teachers selling off school supplies!!! At a yard sale!!!

Comunity supplies or not, I am ENGRAVING the kids names on ALL their school supplies from here on out! (compases, scissors, rulers, ect)

At least that way the supplies wont resell so easily!
    grammamamma

Comment by grammamamma (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010