What do you do when a friend's child is hurting your child and the other mom does nothing?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1. I'd say something to the mother (if she's a real friend, she'd understand right)
    2. Try to break up the fight without hurting the feelings of either child.
    3. If said friend did nothing with her child, then I'd assume she either didn't care, or didn't want to discipline her child so they wouldn't be playing together anymore.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I step in and stop the interaction. If the other parent isn't going to step in then I will. I won't allow my child to be bullied or abused by anyone else, whether the attacker is my child or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If the other parent doesn't do anything about it, I would without a doubt stop it myself. No one is going to hurt my child, I don't care how old they are. And if the other parent had something nasty to say about it, I would set her straight and say she shouldn't encourage bullying and allowing her child to hurt others. Then I would never allow them to play together again, especially if the other child's parent is the only one supervising.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• This happens at family events for me. My aunts and cousins kids are terrible and mean to my DD. I simply get my DD out of the situation and tell the other kid to stop whatever they are doing. If it continues, I leave.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would get between them & stop the fighting immediately. I am a mama Grizzley when it comes to my kids. I would also shoot the mom a look that would "explain" my distaste for child's behavior & hers! If it coninues, you need to find better playmates.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You stop it. If it continues, you leave with your child.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't let them play together personally
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• BEAT THE OTHER MOM'S ASS! well, no I can't do that - but doesn't mean I don't want to!! I will NOT hesitate to go and correct the child if the mom doesn't. I think that mom's who see their child doing something wrong and just sit there and do nothing! Well, to hell with them then - I will take care of it then!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Step in and seperate them. It's your responsibility to protect your child. If the mom gets mad, she wasn't much of a friend in the first place.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I just separate them and tell the other kid "no no, don't [hit/scratch/push/choke/etc] her, be gentle." Little kids sometimes don't realize they are hurting someone. If that doesn't work, me and my kid are going home.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010