Breast pump?

I really want to try to pump this time around when we have baby number 2 rather than formula...I'm strictly using bottles either way...I really want to use the tommee tippee brand that babies r us carries, but the only downfall is that they don't carry the breastpump. So I do have a few questions...:can I use other bottles?...what's a good breastpump? I would like to use one that's battery or electric operated...any other advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sure you can dump your milk into whatever bottles you want to
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• For exclusive pumping, a good double electric would be best. Medela Pump In Style, Ameda Purely Yours, I even think the Lansinoh one is pretty good. Definately not battery or manual for exclusive pumping. A hospital grade rental is the BEST but not NECESSARY, as they are pricey. You might want a rental for the first few weeks or months, to get supply going, and then switch to a double electric.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Medela is the one I prefer, Pump in Style is good, general public can get it, hospital grade like Symphony or Lactina is AMAZING- I've used them at our hospital when I was there all night and didn't have DD with me. Any bottle is fine, whatever nipple the baby will take, just try to stick with slowest flow you can find, say 0-2 range. EPing is hard, though, so make sure you really really want to do it; you can also join one of the exclusive pumping groups to get info, opinions, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Medela Pump in Style Advanced worked for me while breastfeeding and pumping. There are plenty of others that you can find based on your needs. You can find the pump on amazon.com. Both of them are electric- or battery-operated.
    With shoulder bag:
    http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Style-Advanced-Breast-Shoulder/dp/B0011E5LYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287181473&sr=8-1
    With backpack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Style-Advanced-Breast-Backpack/dp/B0011E75RK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1287181473&sr=8-12
    Congratulations!!! Good luck.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 6:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It is very difficult to pump and bottle feed. Twice or three times or more harder than breastfeeding. Unless you are blesses with great supplies of milk and have a great let down reflex you are going to be pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock and always worried about supply. You will be cleaning pump parts at 3 am and needing to feed a hungry baby bottles. Few women that think they will do it for months make it 6 weeks.

I suggest talking with a LLL Leader, lactation consultant, doula, or counselor about your issues concerning breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is better for the baby and you and is so much less stressful. Your baby doesn't get many or the benefits by bottle feeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010