Getting temporary dye out of a 5 yr olds hair??

My 5 yr old grand daughter is also my foster child. When the girls were placed with us the older girl has a black streak in her long, very blond, hair. Her mother said she dyed it with temporary hair dye because the lil one wanted hers dyed like mommys. Much of it has faded away, but there is still a section about 8 inches long and an inch wide.

The black nail pollish was easy to take care of, but this?? HELP!!

grammamamma

Asked by grammamamma at 3:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mother was a hairdresser for over 30 years, I asked her about this. She said that using bleach is really the only way to get it out, and it's no guarantee. Personally, I think you should leave it alone, no one is going to doubt that you're a good parent just because of a little hair dye. Just let it wash out and grow out. Being removed from their home is going to be difficult enough, so many changes and being away from their mother is going to be hard enough!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't strip and redye it, that is horrible for your hair, and it's probably already a little damaged from the black. If you don't believe in dying a child's hair, then DON'T! I understand that you don't like it, but the stripping can be damaging to an adult's skin, imagine what it might do to a child's.
    Anonymous

• I would never strip dye from a childs hair...it is hard on the hair and the scalp...you will have to just let it grow out and trim it every few weeks ...bad bad bad idea with the striping method!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• black color is very hard to get it out...you might have to get a professional to remove that!!
    Ms.TM

Answer by Ms.TM at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you go to Sally's Beauty Supply, look them up on the web for the nearest location to you, Look for "Hair Striper" or Color Stripper/Stripping. It comes in a bottle and you apply it to the hair where you want it, and wait. It will strip the color out of the hair and will take that old temporary color out. After that you will want to get a "Hair color kit", that is the same color as her hair. And only put that color on the piece of hair that you want stripped. That should bring it back to the color it was originally. Also, use a conditioner on her hair for about 6 weeks after. So, that it does not ruin her hair in the long run....Hope that helps!....And, Good Luck!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Oops...didn't mean to click anon
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• although if she used a metalic salt based hair color, you may want to use a demineralizing shampoo treatment on those strands.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'm licensed in this, so I know what I'm talking about. If you live in the western NY area, feel free to e-mail/pm me and I'd be happy to take a look at her hair to give you some more options.

Or if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail/pm me.

Just don't strip it yourself PLEASE. There is so much that can go wrong.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If it didn't wash out with a couple shampoos, it's not "temporary." It may be the 6-8 shampoos stuff, or the 24+ shampoos (demipermanent) stuff. If it's the 6-8 shampoos stuff, wet it, put on plenty of shampoo, then put a shower cap on her. Give it about half an hour, and that should take most, if not all of it off. If it's demipermanent, and her natural color is light, it may never really disappear. You could just not worry about it, you know. If your granddaughter thinks it's cool, it's only a streak. I've seen a lot of fairly young kids with streaks in their hair, and I suspect most people don't think anything about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Grand daughter wanted it because mommy's hair was being dyed. I don't believe in dying a child's hair, or doing any other adultish thing to them. Now that the state has entrusted her care to me, I want this garbage out of her hair.

I think I will make the trip to Sally...we have several near here.

I went through a bottle of nail pollish remover to get all the black off of her finger and toenails, what's a little more $$ to get it out of her hair? LOL
    grammamamma

Comment by grammamamma (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010