UTI after sexual intercourse?

Does this/has this ever happened to anyone?

A friend of mine is on antibiotics and I asked her why and she revealed to me that every time she has intercourse she gets a UTI. I have never heard of that and was wondering if anyone else has. I looked it up online and apparently it's not uncommon. From what I can tell, she hasn't really researched it herself and doesn't seem very concerned. But apparently she's on antibiotics all the time and I didn't think that was good.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Health

• I am very prone to UTIs and for a while, my doctor prescribed me low dose antibiotics to take every time I had sex. Now I make sure I drink a lot of water and I usually take a Cystex pill or two after sex. That prevents me from getting them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Those are quite common.. It's due to bacteria entering the urethra after sex. Going to the bathroom and peeing after sex is always one of the best preventions. Other good preventions: making sure your partners hands are clean, their penis is clean, and that they have brushed teeth/cleaned mouth if engaging in oral sex..........
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have gotten one after having sex, but only once. My doctors told me that it happens pretty often and the best thing to do after sex is get up and go pee to help get rid of any bacteria or anything that may have crossed over during sex.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I get them if I do not go and urinate right after sex to clean out at germs that may have gotten up there during sex.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Never heard of it to happen all the time... Useually if I drink alot of sugary drinks or have alot of sugar in my body i would get one... but other than that i don't get them from having intercorse ..
    Mommy_Bear823

Answer by Mommy_Bear823 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She needs to urinate right after.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 4:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• What pixie_trix said. Also, some people get them often because of things like a short urethra or an alkaline body ph. Taking cranberry to acidify her system would probably be helpful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Has she tried Cystex? That and cranberry pills are the only thing that has helped me.
    JulieJacobKyle

• I buy Cystex from drugstore.com, but they sell it at several pharmacies and it's over the counter. It will also stop an infection at the very beginning if she starts taking it at the earliest signs of burning.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She told me that's the only information her OBGYN has given her about preventing them. I'm so glad I've never had to experieince a UTI myself, especially because of having sex. That would make me never want to have sex, especially if I got them all the time like she does.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010