Would they give you insulin or just induce?

With Gestational Diabetes, I have kept my sugars pretty good. (No insulin, just diet) .. I've had it since about 29/30 weeks and now I'll be 37 weeks on Friday and they've been fine. However, saying they do go up (I heard that in some pregnancies your needs change and sometimes your sugars get worse) .. do they give you insulin this late or just induce you if you are full-term which I will be Friday? I'm hoping mine stay within range, but saying they do go up .. ? Anyone know? & also, I am still thick & closed, but the baby's head is "right there" as the doctor said .. so that's bumming me out a bit.

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 9:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• insulin really isn't good for the baby~ That is not true. I am a diabetic take insulin during my whole pregnancy.

They will most likely not induce till you are 39 weeks. You may have to take some insulin before than if you blood sugars are not well controlled.
    mom-o-2-in-2

Answer by mom-o-2-in-2 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• as far as I've heard & seen on the baby shows, they will probably just induce. The insulin really isn't good for the baby. GD also tends to lead to bigger babies, so they normally keep an eye on size and induce if baby seems large.
    Anonymous

• mom-o-2-in2 insulin during pregnancy can cause hypoglycemia in babies, so they will monitor your baby after birth for low blood sugar.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous: I did NOT have GD, and they monitored my daughter for low blood sugar after birth anyway, simply because she was 9lbs (11 days late, not undiagnosed GD).

And low blood sugar at birth isn't *that* bad. You know what they told me to do to keep her sugar up before the test? Breastfeed her. The natural sugars in the colostrum kept her sugar right where it needed to be, no muss, no fuss. And the one time she dipped kinda low for blood sugars (after a 4 hour sleep stretch. being so large, she had more newborn fat calories to sleep on than a smaller baby who needs to eat more often), the solution...again, feed her. Not that big of a deal.
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• And to add: Most of my family has Type 1 diabetes (juvenile onset, not the fat person kind as my OB so nicely called it), and all of them have given birth. To normal, healthy, average sized babies.
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008