WHY would someone care about MY child's nickname???

We were at the super market with DH and my littlest daughter- in the line to the checkout counter. My daughter was staring at some candy so DH said:
"hey, ankle biter, want some of that?"
So that lady said "excuse me, isn't ankle biter used to discribe a dog?"
and my DD said "he calls me that because I'm little"
The woman gave my daughter a little glance and then said in a very sarcastic way "whatever does it for you!"

It was the weirdest thing!! I was really pissed off but I though she might not be mentally healthy so I didn't reply..

I mean, who says that?? Even if you DON'T like the nickname, you can laugh about it to yourself!!

WEIRD!

mysevenkids

Asked by mysevenkids at 4:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whatever does it for you?? Seriously?? God, I would have punched her in the face!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Weirdo. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i wouldve definitly said something back...but then again m not a people person..lol
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 4:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I call my son "noodle"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I like it! It's cute. We almost named our son Douglas Owen, and our last name starts with a G, his initials would've been DOG. It got voted down by EVERYONE....even though we liked the actual name....this time around, I'm naming the kid whatever I want, and I don't care about the initials.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Alrightly then.... Dont care what others say about your nicknames for your kids. My MIL hates the nickname I have for my daughter but I still use it and she responds to it. Her nickname is blondie.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• some people are just way too serious! I think that's funny and I think you would be able to tell it was a funny nickname just by the tone he used. I can hear it being said right now. LOL
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you're going to call your kid something derogatory like "ankle biter" you might want to get thicker skin. People are going to react.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Hahah that's such a cute nickname IMO! That lady prob had her granny panties in a bunch and if it wasn't you she was rude to, it would have been someone else. It's not like you were calling your kid little dipshit or something awful like that!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My DH use to call my youngest DD "Midget"  Because she was only 4 when we met.

Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010