to working moms: do you enjoy having a career and a family?

Does it get to be too much at times? Would you give up your career to be a sahm? (Oh, and what do you do?( I think that has a big impact on the answer to the questions))

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I very much enjoy having a career. I co-own a business and work from home 1-2 times a week, although it's much easier to work out of my office. I would never give up my career to stay home. I'm in a somewhat creative field and love having that outlet. I think it's also easier to have friends when you work. You get to get out of the house more. I love my kids, but I've always loved my career too and that didn't stop when I had them.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I enjoy having a career and a family, I'm not cut out to be a SAHM. I work for a child care resource and referral agency helping working families find quality child care!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I used to be a sahm when my kids were younger. I loved it but when they went to school it was time for me to do something.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 4:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I love working and having a family. I don't do long hours, so that's a plus. But I bring extra money into the household so that's great for me. My job is rewarding (teacher) and I never woke up not wanting to go to work. It's nice for me to have some time away from home too.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am a stylist, I work in Hollywood and I LOVE my job. It does get too much at times, but I wouldn't give it up unless my children absolutely needed me to stay home with them.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I worked out side of the home for years and never really liked it. It was hard dropping my son off at daycare everyday... all day... then dinner, dishes, blah blah blah. Now that I'm pregnant, I was able to move my office home which works out perfect. Still making money and taking care of the home.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 4:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm an accountant and I love working very much. My kids are all teens now but my office has always been within 15 minutes of home and their school which really helped. I've always enjoyed going off to the office on Monday mornings and on coming home on Fridays knowing that we had the whole weekend together. I would've never made it as a SAHM. In fact, my husband did that for an entire summer and he was ready to get back to work, too.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I love my career. I am a teacher. I never wanted to stay home and have no plans to stay home. I like making my own money, I am able to support my family if something happens to my dh or his job, and most of all I love teaching!!!!!! I worked hard education wise to get here and I am not giving it up. lol I am home by 3pm everyday. I go to work while my son goes to preschool. He has never been to daycare b/c grandma always watched him. It is hard right now b/c I am in grad school but I would not change it for the world. Believe it not...my dh loves me working! He realizes how happy it makes me. :) Plus, he has less stress since he is not the sole breadwinner.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I worked two jobs when my children were young. I sell Avon and worked in a restaurant as a server. I don't think I would have wanted to be a SAHM because my jobs were also my social life and sometimes you need to talk to adults.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I was a SAHM until my son started kindergarten then I went back to work and enjoyed the best of both worlds...I was still able to contribute activities with my son and his schooling, parties, field trips, etc and have the extra income, and ADULT conversations. Having an outside the home job made me feel and still does that I have a "purpose." Once he began school, I felt there was no reason for me to stay at home.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2010