why does he do this

my son is 22 months and he just started doin this latley i hope its just a phase but everytime he poops he puts his hand in it the 1st time he did this he put it all over him self we keep telling him no and dicipling him but he just wont stop

gklmommy

Asked by gklmommy at 5:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's becoming aware of his bodily functions and wants to feel the poop he understands a bit better. I know! So gross! ds does that too. In fact I was outside during his nap, I heard him scream, I ran inside and there was poop spread throughout his carpeted floor, on the walls and it looked like he dug his hands in mud. He was freaking out as was I lol (not in a bad way, just overwhelmed on where to start). I gave him a bath, thank god I had some resolve carpet cleaner. It didnt do the trick so I scrubbed the rest with vinegar cleanr and a million lysol wipes and hand towels.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• probably experimenting with texture
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My 1st thought would be that he's confirming he actually pooped...... like getting used to the feelings and sensations and just double checking. It's gross/dirty of course but I'd take it as a good sign to getting more poop in a potty and less on his hands
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010