Why get a tax deduction for charitable contributions?

I don't get this... you are donating to charity, so why do you even WANT a tax deduction? You'll help those less fortunate but only if you can get something out of it?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 5:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sad but true but for some the write off is the only reason they donate.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Because you can, in that case why make any deductions on your taxes? I donate because I want to, and if the government is going to give me a tax break on it, I'll take it. I would donate either way, but getting a few extra bucks back is always a bonus.

And I have to say I don't think claiming it on your taxes makes your donation any less charitable.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• plus, the percentage allowed for these kinds of donations is very minimal. my take, however, is why pay the government more than i have to?? we're overtaxed as it is.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't donate for the benefits, but if I'm going to donate and I can pay less to the government I'll take it. Why not take a tax break where you can get it?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• And I have to say I don't think claiming it on your taxes makes your donation any less charitable.-

^THIS!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Skittles I totallly disagree. When you donate you should donate out of the goodness of your heart and not want or expect anything in return. That's just how I see it.

Then go right ahead and do just that-no one is stopping you.
    Anonymous

• I guess I always assumed it was to encourage more donations? .... it does seem a bit odd, I've never thought about it deeply,
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't get this... you are donating to charity, so why do you even WANT a tax deduction? You'll help those less fortunate but only if you can get something out of it?

It encourages donation over re-sell and you only get a deduction if the charity itself is a tax-exempt. In addition, the govt tends to use deductions for the common good- ie- alternative power, reduced emissions. There is nothing wrong with tax incentives or incentives in general. I know for me, I donate far more than I can write off. If you want to give you do not have to take the deduction- if you oppose it, then donate and don't write it off.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I get ripped by the Feds and the state every quarter. Why on earth would I want to give them more? If you aren't going to take advantage of the charity donation why bother even taking the stardard deductions? We always give much more than what we can write off anyway. Heck, I am giving almost $10,000 for Coats for Kids..my dry cleaners does all the cleaning for these coats every year. I won't get to write off nearly all of it. Does the OP really think my donation means less? That is kind of silly imo.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We would donate without the deduction but every deduction we get is nice. Even with the deduction we always owe a substantial amount of money so we are not getting out of paying our taxes we pay our fair share and then some. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010