should I tell the lady this that I am meeting (I might babysit her son)

I got her off craigslist. She has a 5 month old son that she is looking for a babysitter for. The thing is I really want the job. She is calling me Sunday to set up a time to eet with me and a date. She is also meeting soe others. I don't want to lesson my chances of her wanting me to sit for her. I told her through email that I have a 5 and 2.5 year old and when she called today she said you have kids. I told her yes and the ages. She said is that going to be to much for you? I told her no. But DH and I have been trying to have another baby in September I am not pregnant as of yet, but I don't know if I should mention that we are trying or should I just wait until we get pregnant before saying anything?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• i dont see a reason to mention something so personal. If you know you can handle it... cross the bridge when you come to it. I wouldnt expect someone to 1) confide in me when they dont know me or 2) put their life on hold for me b/c they are watching my kid. If i was her, i would accept the fact that circumstances change and at least i know that for the next 6 months, you're available most likely. Stuff changes, thats life. I think she would be expecting too much to ask for a 5 year commitment or something. she can always decide to find someone else to sit if she doesnt want you to watch her kid anymore, but for now, present the situation for what it is.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes you should tell her becauseif not you look sneaky and I wouldn't want you watching my child if you aren't honest.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you think you can handle her son, plus yor 2 kids, plus another baby I guess you could hold off telling her....but as a mother wanting only the best for your kids what would you want???
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't tell anyone but close friends that you are trying to conceive. I think it is a personal thing and shouldn't be shared with everyone. You should however, consider how being pregnant would affect your ability to care for this infant. Do you tend to have bad morning sickness? What about visits to the OB? Who would watch the children?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 5:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• well I have watched as much as 10 kids by myself before (at my church with noone else in there for a confrence) so I know I can hadle them. Plus there are times I watch my nephew and my 4 year old and my 2.5 year old and he is 6 months younger than my youngest. When I have another baby it will be the last anyway. A couple months ago for a month my friend needed a sitter (my 5 year old was at school) so I had my DD, a 3 year old and a 20 month old and I servived lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think if you were pregnant yes, but you're not and you never know how long it will take. I had a pregnant babysitter once who was so wonderful (and she had a toddler too) but when she got to the end of her pregnancy and needed to be at appointments all the time I eventually had to change sitters. If you get pregnant how do you plan to accommodate her when you need to go to a monthly appointment? I guess probably the same thing you would do if you or one of your kids got sick... which is...?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

Well with both my girls I didn't get morning sickness or any other symptoms really other then craving things like that. She mostly needs evenings/overnights and someties during the day, but I told her if she tells me soon enough I can work around her schedule. My doctor is open late.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• can u cope?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would not tell her. Trying to conceive and actually being pregnant are two different things. If you do get pregnant you can share the news with her at an appropriate time. If she decides at that point that she doesn't want to keep using you as a sitter after your next baby is born she'll have plenty of time to look for someone else. She'll know you better by then too, and she'll know if she feels comfortable with it. Of course, if she asks you if you plan to take in more children you might need to say something like, "only if they are mine".
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No I dont think you should mention it to her as of yet because it hasnt actually happen and for some it takes months, sometimes years (i hope not in your case) to conceive. She will make her decision on a first impression unfortunately. Keep the conversation light. And If you wait, get the job, let her get to know you so she will have a more accurate picture of who you really are, the two of you will bond as mothers sharing... then she'll want to keep you on as she will be able to see that you can handle all the kids. . I had 4 children and inherited half the neighborhood as they grew up. Some people are born to be parents to multiple children and can do it with out any stress what so ever...then others stress out over one that they take to daycare and grandmas more than they have with themselves. So let her get to know you first. Who knows...you may not like her. You should interview her as well...Good Luck!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 5:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010