Negative ovulation Test

I am not quite sure what to think. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant so I bought ovulation tests. I took the first one today and it came out negative, but I have all the symptoms of ovulation. I read over the directions again and it says that if the results are positive that you will most likely ovulate 24 to 48 hours later but it doesnt say anything about taking the test on the same day you are ovulating. Does anyone know if the test should be negative or positive if you take it the same day you are ovulating? Do the LH levels go out of your body when you ovulate or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• What day did you start testing? Most have to test several days to get the reading. I usually started testing around day 12 of my cycle. I usually go a negative but that's just my issue. I needed help to ovulate. Try day 10-12 and just test until you get the positive. If you don't, try one more month then call your OB.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 12:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• LH increases in preparation for ovulation; it's what signals the body to release the egg. The levels go back down (but never completely disappear, just like estrogen and progesterone) after that message is sent, at which point you may or may not ovulate -- ovulation usually occurs at that point, but it's entirely possible for your body to get ready to ovulate and then not for whatever reason.

If you do, in fact, ovulate today, an OPK will not be any help. In order for those to be of any use, you should take them at the same time every day, starting at least several days before you suspect ovulation to occur. They're not a one-shot thing like HPTs.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010