what can I do ....

to open the school related lines of communication with my son? He's been in kindergarten (full day) for like 6 weeks now. When he gets off the bus he greets and hugs his 4 year old sister, who he misses terribly during the day. Then he naps and we have snack, do some reading, ride bikes, etc..... I have tried a million ways but he does NOT want to talk about school, whether it was a good day or bad. I am lucky if he tells me if he liked the lunch I packed. If I want any details on what he did, etc I have to email his teacher. Why is he so secretive about it????

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in

• kindergartners don't really have good ways to express how there day was. When I ask my niece about VPK her answer is always it was fine. We never get anymore details then that. When my friends child was in K several years ago, I picked her up after school and she would never talk about her day, but we would discuss stuff that she has done at home or talk about her sister. I hope that helps you understand you child a little better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Ask him about his homework. Ask about what it says in his newsletter. Find out if he would like a playdate with a classmate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Don't ask yes or no questions. Ask questions like, what was your favorite part off the day? If he brings home a drawing, ask him to tell you about it. Ask him what was the least favorite part of the day.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would call the teacher or write a note with your concerns. A good way to get a sneak peek of what goes on at school is to volunteer in the classroom. If you can get a hour or two free, try to see if you can get in and help the teacher out!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

Next question in
I need a skeleton

Next question overall (Health)
gall bladder removal (quite TMI) adult content