What will my dogs think when theres a baby in the house?

My two boston terriers are my babies right now, but we are in the process of TTC. What will they think when there is a baby in the house? They are def mommys boys and i think they may get jealous. Is there anything i can do in the mean time to prepare them for a baby? I have had my friends kids over, and that he seemed to help them feel more comfortable with children. But they kids always leave....what will happen when there is a baby here 24/7? :)

JessPatterson

Asked by JessPatterson at 5:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, my 2 dogs never batted an eye... They kept their distance at first (didn't care for the crying, I guess), but my son is 2 now, and he rough houses with them all the time. Of course, much as I love them, they DO see me as the alpha, so just telling them to back off whenever they got too rough was enough.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If they act fine when other people kids are over there they should be fine though I doubt you will find a way to keep them from being completely jealous my outside dogs where jealous of my son. Do you have a youn niece or nephew anyone like family that there kid could come stay night or two so you'll know a little better how they will act.
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Thank you ladies. A friends son plays with them all the time and runs around the lawn with them every week. I think they will be fine. I have a long while before i have to worry about it but hopefully this is my month. :)

THank you ladies
    JessPatterson

Comment by JessPatterson (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They'll probably be unfcomfortable at first, and as the baby gets older they'll get more used to the baby but in the end they'll just love em!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• they will probably be jealous but they will learn and adapt
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 7:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• This is just a suggestion but my husband brought home the hat that my son wore right when he was born and gave it to our dog (who is also spoiled rotten and is a total mommy/daddy's boy). He got used to the scent of our son before he even got home. When we finally took our son home from the hospital our dog grabbed the hat and brought it to him... seems like he made the coorelation and the baby wasn't a completely "new" scent for him... they get along great =) Good luck and it's nice to see others care about their pets even though they're having a baby =)
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 11:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i would add on to lisa.price by saying u should also set the baby stuff up like crib, swing, ect ahead of time and let them kno its for baby. maybe even find some recordings of babies crying to get them used to the sound. but most dogs do ok if they kid grows up with them.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010