grocery list help

I'm aweful with money and grocery shopping I dont know how to make $100 stretch so I need everyones help. Please tell me what you can buy for a family of 6 I have 3 boys who eat a lot and a girl that eats a lot all of them teenagers. I need dinners for a week breakfast lunches and dinners.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My suggestion would be to shop at Aldi's (if you have one nearby). I shop there often and can really stretch a buck there.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 5:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• base stuff around eggs a LOT. Egg salad, eggs and hash, french toast, etc ..... eggs and bread are both so cheap and so filling, get tons.

Get 1 big ticket protein item like a huge ham or a huge turkey.

The the most enormous bag of potatoes you can get your hands on, too
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• my only options are walmart allens smiths and target is too much money.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would make dinners that go far like, chili, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, soups, etc...you could even double the meal and freeze the rest. Sams or Costco, I think are the best places for larger families because they sell in bulk and you will save more.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 5:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I second the motion for hillbilly housewife. There is a great recipe for taco style lentils and rice.It's' delicious as well as nutritious and very inexpensive. My son ( a teenager) loves it!
    Oatmeal, grits, or cream of wheat in the morning with fruit is a very good, filling meal. Don't' buy the microwave packets, though. You''re paying for convenience. You can doctor them up yourself at home.
    For lunch, leftovers, quesadillas, soups (homemade is best)
    Dinners can be chili, soup, spaghetti. If your family likes beans, the taco style lentils and rice is really good. We also have some nights where we have pinto beans and corn bread, along with a salad or a green veggie. Breakfast for dinner is sometimes good. Use coupons only for things you absolutely buy.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sit down with your flyers and plan your meals around what is on sale. Pasta can make a pound of hamb or sausage stretch along way. If it isn't on sale buy it at Aldi's or Sav-a-lot. Eggs are cheap and so are beans. They will also provide you with protein and nutrition. Do not buy pop. It is expensive and has no nutrition. Buy Koolaid or make your own ice tea. Cook from scratch instead of ready made stuff. If you work, let the kids start dinner for you if they get home before you or use a crock pot because cooking from scratch can be time consuming.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Oh, hillbilly house wife is great! Do check it out. I also suggest freezing things. I like to buy things on sale and freeze it. example, organic butter on sale at whole foods for 50% off. I went every f ew days and bought some just to stash it. That was months ago, and I'm just coming up on the last of it. I'm also a big casserole freezer. Keeps me from guessing. And if you can, buy potatoes and onions in bulk. I try real hard to shop farmer's markets and wayside stands to keep produce prices low in my household.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 6:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Also, check for double coupon days at your local groceries. And vow to only shop then.
    donnareedonLSD

• Definitely buy generic brands and clip coupons. When you find VERY good sales on staples that you use frequently, stock-up!

Make casseroles, stews, chilis, soups, breads, beans, etc. Slow cooker meals are typically very easy on the budget. A pancake dinner or breakfast for dinner every once in a while is cheap. I personally find that cooking from scratch is much cheaper than buying processed foods. Don't buy any junk or soda.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010