When you ask your kids to clean up time and time again and they choose not to do it and you come back and all the toys are still all over...WHAT DO YOU DO???

is it mean to threaten them by telling them you will throw out the toys....my kids so say they are cleaning then i go into the room and they are watching TV or doing whatever and the toys are all over the room...THEY HAVE SOOOO MUCH TOYS...

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 6:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• If I have to be the one to clean, they're going into trash bags. Not necessarily being thrown away, but definitely not being available for play. They have to earn a toy back for good behavior. If its broken, missing pieces/parts, its going into the dumpster. The kids don't like mama having to clean.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• once I just LOST IT and grabbed some trash bags and took out as much as I could carry. They had to earn stuff back bit by bit

Now what works though is NOTHING FUN or good happens til their playroom is clean. Sometimes it's too late/dark 'cuz they take so long and they miss the park, riding bikes, dessert, a story, movie, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I finally get sick of talking and just pick it up myself, lol
    britters4423

Answer by britters4423 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it's wrong to do so personally.
    my mother always threatened that, then I'd get a kick out of leaving certain things out just to see what she'd do.

she'd never do as the threatened to of course.
    Anonymous

• You don't say how old your children are. Young ones you might have to stay in the room with. The first thing you need to do is turn off the TV. It stays off until the room is clean. I would take every toy I had to pick up for two weeks ( a month when they were older) and they could not have it back until then. The important thing is also to follow through with your threats no matter what they are. Once children figure out you aren't going thru with the punishment, they will ignore you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Use a timer and what ever isn't picked up properly in an allotted amount of time goes into storage or to those less fortunate until they show they can earn the toys back. Don't get worked up, just be matter of fact. You have 10 minutes to pick up, otherwise you will lose your toys if I have to gather them up.

Make sure you have storage bins or buckets to encourage putting things away. When we go to play group there is a clean up song we sing while putting away the toys.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I throw out toys or better yet donate toys all the time...my kids have a closet full of toys i mean so much toys it looks like a store...so i tell 'em to give to the kids who don't have...but i threaten them with throwing the toys out but they know i am not gonna do it unless the toys are damage, broken or are little tinny toys nobody will miss or even know...lol (like legos) my son had 5 bookbags full of tinny little legos...AHHHHH i hate toys...lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sorry my son is 9yrs old and my daughters are 6yrs and 2yr...and they have like 4 bins and stuff toys i have them in a shelf on the top of the closet they are THE DO NOT USE TOYS...if they pull stuff animal about 100 will come down so better have them up and just a few to play with...
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We pull out the trash bags and anything not picked-up get taken away for a substantial amount of time.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Anything I picked up after that went into a "Time Out" Box and they didn't get it back for a week. Amazingly, they often didn't miss stuff and it helped weed down their toy collection.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010