Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I apply for child support if we have 50/50 custody?

I didn't ask for it during the divorce. My ex receives social security for Bi-polar and is currently in school for medical assisting so he'll be working soon.
I have our son from Sunday afternoon through Friday after school. He is basically with me for the school week.


Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 31 (48,442 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It depends on the state you live in. Here in PA you can if one parent makes more than the other. If you have him 5 days a week that is not 50/50

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • No, not if you have 50/50

    Answer by skittles1108 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • No sweetie, I dont think so but you may be able to get food stamps and assistance, but not child support. Unless you go back to court and can prove that you need full custodial care...but judges usually dont reverse the situation unless it is extremely detrimental to the child...not your overwhelming household expenses. If anything the Judge might give the child to the other parent and make you pay support to them instead because you are struggling. I suggest leaving that option alone and try to find an extra income some other way.

    Answer by lacyjones at 6:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Is living off of public assistance a lucrative career for you lacyjones? Thank you for the suggestion but it's not really helpful in my situation =)

    Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010