????

My daughter is 10yrs old she tells me everything, even what happens at school with her friends....I mean everything...I bought her a little dairy because she wanted one,and I tld her she can write down her personal thoughts only for her eyes,but she does not....she draws pics and writes I love u mom....What are the chances that when she is a teenger she will tell me everything good or bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• it sounds like you've established a great conversational relationship with her. keep it up!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it's definitely a good start... It sounds like she feels comfortable expressing herself to you, and that's a good thing. Teenage girls will naturally become more private about certain things, but it sounds like you guys have a good foundation.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Keep encouraging her talking to you so by the time she is a teen there is no discomfort on her part.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with PP. It's not always good to have this kind of relationship. I'm only speaking from experience and it depends on what you are sharing with her. My mom and I had a relationship like this but it was because my mom also told me everything. She treated me like a best friend and depended on me for emotional support. It was very bad for our relationship and I took on a lot of adult baggage at a young age. It was very hard for my mom to let go of me at 18 because she depended on me so much emotionally. She has since apologized and she tries not be needy anymore, but this can be damaging. I know you didn't say that you do this with your daughter, but if you see your relationship turning into something where you are treating her more like a friend or sister who is there for you in hard times or someone who makes you feel better, then you should rethink the dynamic of the relationship.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm sorry where I was going with this is...if she is telling you everything because you also tell her everything, then this may be why. I'm not saying that's what it is, but I did tell my mom everything too and that was because she told me everything.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you establish that relationship now and be very mindful of her on going conversations not to let on your ever bored or to busy then it will continue on into adulthood and the bond will be so wonderful. Sounds good to me. Teenage years are dificult on everyone but it sound to me your doing great.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 6:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it's a good start, but it's really hard to tell now. Out of curiosity, how do you know what her diary says? I'm not trying to pry, I was just wondering if she showed it to you. I think it's kind of normal for a kid to draw more than write in a diary. It sounds like you guys have a great relationship. I would just suggest that as she gets older, don't pry into her business too much, because they might make her withdraw from you. Keep up the great work :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Hopefully this relationship will continue always! Remind her how it was when she is a teen. Good for you for raising her to be so close.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Be thankful that your daughter talks to you. Some don't. She's only ten, maybe she's not ready for a diary. She sounds like more of an artist. How do you know that she hasn't been writing in it? That is if you told her it was for her eyes only.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010