Would you buy your toddler an iPhone?

Excerpts from article by
By HILARY STOUT
Published: October 15, 2010, NY Times online
But just as adults have a hard time putting down their iPhones, so the device is now the Toy of Choice — akin to a treasured stuffed animal — for many 1-, 2- and 3-year-olds. It’s a phenomenon that is attracting the attention and concern of some childhood development specialists.
Link to full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/fashion/17TODDLERS.html?ref=fashion

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have to admit, it is silly to actually buy one just for the kid, but with that being said my iPhone is a godsend when we're out in public and the 16 month old starts acting up. Put on some youtube videos, or one of the little kids apps we downloaded, and she's quiet and happy in a matter of seconds. I don't use the phone as a babysitter either, but when you're at a restaurant or standing in a line of 20 people waiting to check out, it's a really nice thing to have.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• More money than sense for some people.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Too freakin' weird if you ask me!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i'd like to say ''YOU HAVE GOT TO BE YANKING MY CHAIN!'', but i've known idiots who've done this. its insane, and really, its more a show-off for the parent to be able to say they can (stupidly) afford to do this for this kid.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wont even buy myself an iphone. We are an over stimulated society for sure.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would never do that I think it is just people trying to show of their money. I mean come on my nephew is 3 and he has broken 3 of my cell phones and countless phones of his moms. Why but them somthing that they are going to destroy the are KIDS not meant to have cell phones and psps or ipods. They way people are today is getting so riduculas.
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My 2 year old is fascinated with my fiance's iPhone, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get him his own! That's crazy...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Absolutely not but my kids can play with me or my husbands phone...they love all these touchscreen electronics!!!
    mUstBdeStiny08

Answer by mUstBdeStiny08 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• why would my toddler have a real phone to begin with? it sounds like a waste of money, my toddler is constantly dropping and losing things.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My teenagers don't even get a pay-as-you-go phone! They get a job, they can pay for it, they can have it. I will still reserve the right to take it away when grounded. :)
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010