Is it outlandish to think a grandmother should want to watch their grandkids 2 times a month?

I know this is a really hot button issue and a lot of people get worked into a tizzy with "she raised her kids!" or "This is her time now!"...I get that that sentiment is out there and is very strong. However, I know she doesn't HAVE to watch her grandkid...but just wondering what people think about a grandmother who went on record as saying watching her grandkids two days a month (about 4 or 5 hrs) each time for total of 8-10 hours each month is too much. Also, this is the only time she would get to spend with her grandkids because she never comes over. She lives about 10 minutes away and her job is watching her only other grandkids about 20-30 hours a week. We have helped her financially and with other projects around her house. We are livid because we want to do work on our house without our kids around and she can't do it because she has a doctor's appt today and a dentist appointment on Monday. The weekend is out!

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 6:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• So are you saying she should cancel her medical appointments to accomodate you? Maybe if you gave her some more advanced notice she wouldn't have a problem doing it?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Since I had my second son, my mom said she can't handle them both at the same time. It's hurtful in my opinion because I would be there for any member of my family if they needed my help.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i'm sorry. you shouldn't depend on the graces of grandma just because she's grandma. get a babysitter.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Some grandparents don't want to watch grandkids. You can't fault her for it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If she doesn't want to then there is nothing you can do about it. Get a babysitter.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Her medical appointment is on Monday. We asked for Saturday or Sunday. She has to "rest up" for her dentist appointment. Also, she watches her grandaughter (for pay) during the week. She is a very easy baby and she gets to play farmville the entire time she watches her. So, it's not like she needs to recuperate from a busy week of strenuous work. She's 57 yrs old. My kids are 1 and 3.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Why is the weekend out? It sounds like you are upset because she is not available at your convenience.
    There is definitely something going on with your family.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am sure it hurts because you aren't getting the support you need in light of the fact that she watches other grandchildren but she is entitled to make the choice not to do it. How much advanced notice did you give her? I would probably hire a sitter and try not to be angry.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• lowencope
    She went on record as saying she only wants to watch one of mine at a time because together they exhaust her. Try being me!
    Isaidit

• A grandma should see her grand kids when she wants to. If she only lives 10 minutes away I don't see why you can't visit with the kids more often. It sounds more like you don't really care if she sees the kids or not. You just want somebody to keep your children while you do home repairs. Hire a sitter perhaps.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010