What is your monthly food budget? Mine is $850!

We are a family of 4. Dh, 2 girls ages 5 and 6.5 and I. We also have a German Shephard and 2 cats. We include everything in our grocery budget, pet food, litter, pull-ups(both girls still at night) toiletries, cleaners...you name it we put it together with our grocery budget. I am trying to revamp our budget because it seems we spend alot more than most with a family of 4 and I have generic everything in our pantry. I am trying to figure out why.
We eat chicken every other night. With spaghetti, pork and beef scattered throughout. I pack DH lunches and since I homeschool the girls and I eat our lunches at home. I buy almost everything at SAMS or Walmart b/c our other stores are just too expensive.
What do you do to penny pinch? How much do you spend?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We are also a family of 4 and we homeschool our two girls so all of our meals are at home. Our food budget is $800/month and we don't have the pullups so I'm guessing that we're just about in the same boat you are in for everything else. I'm not sure how to get it down, but good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• family of 4 w/ 1 cat and out of diapers/pullups. Son brings lunch to school, DD eats here. I think ours is around $800 .... we have a pop habit that hurts.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Food alone: prob $450-500. Shopping in bulk helps a lot IMO. A pet hamster who doesn't require a lot. One girl in diapers ($30/month). Cleaners we buy in bulk as well (<3 Sam's club) so those last a while. But when we do buy them it's like $40 but last for months.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Family of 3, me and 2 boys, 9 and 6. They eat breakfast at school, the 6 year old and I eat lunch every day at home, 9 year old on weekends, and we all eat dinner as a family. Including household supplies, I spend between $200-250 a month. I don't serve meat every night, and if we have it, its usually part of a meal like spaghetti or a casserole.or soup. I try to serve at least 1-2 vegetarian meals a week. Lunches usually consist of sandwiches, soup, hot dogs, leftovers, etc. Whatever is fast and easy because my kindergartener comes home starving. I buy produce from a local fruit stand, and not the grocery store. If I can make something homemade and freeze it for later use (like beans) I do that. It's around $1 for a lb of beans, which amounts to about 4 cans worth. Right there I'm saving about $3. Every little bit adds up.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have never really sat down and totaled it all up, but we are a family of 5 and we don't home school, so I also get to spend $25 each week for two of our kids to eat at school. I buy groceries, usually at Wal Mart/Sam's and still end up going to the store each week for something. Just this week I spent $55 at Wal Mart the other day and will spend around $100 or so tomorrow....I don't think we spend $800/month though, but...it can be possible because this is just what I spend, not counting what my Husband spent the other day buying snacks and such....wow...guess if we sat down and really thought it would probably shock us. We also don't have pull ups/diapers and only have one dog.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We are a family of 3 with 1 one the way. We don't have a budget, but typically spent between $500-$600 monthly. We eat very fresh, healthy, and organic foods. We don't buy junk, processed foods, or soda.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• we are a family of 5 and spend about 500
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 6:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• crystalsinae- how do you do that?

We don't buy soda, we drink water and milk. DH drinks juice. I try to stay on the outside of the store shelves, not going down the aisles except for some canned goods and cereal.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Household of 4: my grandmother, myself, two boys 12 & 10. Lizard and fish for pets. I spend about $400/month on groceries + about $100/mo. on occasional meals out and the oldest's school meal plan. I don't buy a lot of toiletries, cleaning products or storage stuff because my grandmother stocked up YEARS ago & we haven't run out yet. My expenses go up when I buy some items like paper towels, toilet paper, etc. because I buy them at Costco to last 1-2 months. She pays for anything personal for herself, like her cigarettes (yes, I know, nasty habit) and her medication.

Oldest gets breakfast & lunch at school. Youngest eats breakfast @ home or else skips it & takes a snack for his first recess. Lunch at his school is free for all students. I take my lunch to work & eat lunch out only 1-2x a paycheck.

We all eat dinner at home. I try to go meatless once a week. The killer is milk & fresh fruits/veggies.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• we are a family of 3, DD, DF, & I. I do a meal plan each week. I spend about $60 a week. But that does not include toiletries or household necessities. I would say that I spend around $20 per week on that stuff. So for the month that would be roughly $320
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010