Snotty neighbor or am I over reacting?

We recently moved to a new housing development and are on a culdesac street.
My dd is 6 and the girl across the culdesac is 10. When the other little girl is in the yard I left my dd play with her. Today my DD comes up to me on the patio in tears saying that the other girl's mother told her that she wasn't allowed to play with her kid b/c she is too young....

I could understand, you can't play here/she can't come over b/c I haven't met your mom yet, or something along those lines but age? Really? All she wanted to do was play hopscotch. Didn't know there was an age requirement on that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Aw, poor baby! Maybe go and talk to the mom. Ask if that was what really happened or maybe DD misunderstood, i hope so :(
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When I was small, all the kids in the neighborhood played together. I feel bad for your Daughter. But, sometimes kids elaborate or don't really understand what they were actually told especially at 6. I would go over when you get a chance and see the other Mom. I'd say "Oh, I'm sorry that my Daughter interupted your Daughters play I didn't realize the age gap". Or something along those lines. Be REALLY nice & see what the other Mom says. It may just be a misunderstanding OR she may be a snot! Good luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That's too bad, all the kids in my neighborhood play together. I would be kinda offended too, but not much you can do about it. Try to still treat the little girl the same and not bad mouth the mom in front of your daughter- even though I'm sure you want to =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Naw, that's snotty. It's not that hard to be kind to a child, especially if they are a new family in your neighborhood. Why create enemies? But maybe the other girl didn't want to play with your DD and the mom was just trying to get her to go home, because the other girl didn't know how to handle it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree with ILovemyPaulie. Chat with the other mom and see if it is a misunderstanding. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• awh:(
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• WOW! I'm Sorry she hurt your daughter's feelings- She is a Snot:(
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That was wrong of the 10 yr old's mother to say that. What do you think she would have said if it was the other way around? Stay away from that house though, it's no telling what else she could say.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Perhaps the mother was uncomfortable having such a young child alone in her yard and may feel responsible for her. Perhaps if you go over and meet her and let her know you are outside watching, perhaps that would put her mind at ease.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2010