What can I do about my 14 month old acting up because of other kids?

He hits himself in the head with toys because of seeing my little sister doing it and he head butts me and other things when he gets mad about somthing and its nerve raking because I dont want him head butting our tile floo it is very and I have seen some kids hrt themsleves bad doing that when throwing fits. I dont want to cut off contact because they are family and that would mean not seeing my mom and brother that much.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots of kids around that age get into the habit of banging their head against things without any influence. It's just a weird thing kids do. I would overreact to my son, get all dramatic about it, so he can see the emotion in my face that showed ouch. It took a while but it either worked or grew out of it. I don't think cutting off contact is the right path.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son goes to a babysitter for 2.5 hours a week on Friday afternoons. For a day and a half, he talks and acts like the other kid who is there. It drives me nuts but I am trying to just ignore it. I am guessing as they get older, it's only going to get worse!! We are all a product of the people around us, for better or worse.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Just because people are family does not mean they are appropriate companions or role models for your children. That being said, my son did a lot of head butting at that age and he didn't learn it from anyone. He still occasionally thinks its funny to bonk his head on things. I wish I understood it, but whatever.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Ya i wish he was just doing it on his own but I know he learned it from them he never did anythin like that until they started showing him to.
    K3lly94

Comment by K3lly94 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010