How do you talk to kids about God in the Age of Doubt?

Excerpt from article by
By BRUCE FEILER
Published: October 15, 2010, NY Times online

A study released last month by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life showed that 69 percent of Americans are absolutely certain God exists, and another 17 percent are fairly certain. Only 6 percent said they did not believe in God, with another 5 percent saying they didn’t know or were not certain.

But in countless surveys in recent years, Americans have shown creeping anxieties about their faith. While 10 to 15 percent of believers define themselves as fundamentalist, a vast majority of believers also express doubts. A Pew study last year showed that half of American adults have changed their religious affiliation at least once.

Link to full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/fashion/17ThisLife.html?ref=fashion

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "The Age of Doubt" is a very interesting way to put title our society. Our family practices our faith every day by praying together every morning and evening, learning about and celebrating the different times of the liturgical year, reading about the Saints, doing Bible activities before Mass every Sunday, etc. Our kids know so much more about our faith, have a much better grasp about the faith, than DH & I ever did at their age. We also inform them of the many different religions throughout the world. But we've never had any anxiety over answering questions about religion, or an anxiety about discussing God with them.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 1:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We practice our faith at home and I talk to them about my beliefs but I explain all the time that many people have different ideas and beliefs. I want them to understand and appreciate other peoples opinions, beliefs, and religions but I also want them to understand that I have strong faith in God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Since I'm part of the 6% that doesn't believe, I'm going to teach my son the basics of all major religions, and keep my fingers crossed he'll stay away from organized religion, period.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• So far I have just let my 8 year old know that many people believe many different things and that they are all ok. I still don't even know what I believe so who am I to decide what my son should believe in.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm going to educate my son on all his options and let him believe whatever makes the most sense to him. It doesn't really matter to me what he chooses, if he believes at all, as long as he's a compassionate, respectful person who understands his options and makes an educated, informed decision. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm 1000% certain there is not only a God, but many many of them... That said, no, I don't speak to my kids about God. I will allow them to discover those things for themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I teach my son about God through songs and stories and self to text examples from the stories. I talk to him about my experiences and he talks about his. We recently started attending a church that is really neat because whatever we are learning in the sermon the children are learning also but at their level. It allows us to have an open discussions about what everyone learned at lunch. We his parents as well as the church are teaching him about other religions. He is only six so we haven't covered many yet but we will. We just recently talked about Greek Mythology and the Greek Gods. That was fun. The best part. He started that conversation himself asking questions. All this came from Percy Jackson. lol. Just goes to show ANYTHING can open up a good dialect.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I dont outright talk to them about the Divine(I believe in God and Goddess...a balance). If the subject comes up they are told what I believe and how I feel as well as what their father believes,etc.

They have also been told how other family members feel and believe about the issue. So they already have been given a variety of answers but they are young and not very caring at this point about the topic so as they get older they'll get more variety and they will choose what path they believe.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree with RyansMom. I tell them about experiences that I have had in my life and what God has done for me. We pray together and we practice our faith in daily life. They know that not everyone believes the same things and that it is important to be kind and respectful to everyone regardless of what they believe.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son is only 2, so we haven't really run into "doubt" problems yet. I hope to be able to raise him in a home with enough faith in God that he never doubts his faith.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2010