Christians: Would you have told her the same thing?

Ok, as most of you know, I am a Pagan and bisexual. I recently meet a friend and she is living in a Christian run house for battered women. Well, she went into a meeting today and they told her that she should stop talking to me. They said with my religion and sexual practices, I was not a good influence on her. They then proceed to try to come up with ways for her to stop making the bad decisions she was making. They also quoted scriptures to her to show her why she shouldn't be friends with me. Now, do you agree with what they said? Or are you more of a live and let live kinda person?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow... that's ridiculous! But of course, I'm not a Christian, so I'm probably a "bad person" too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It just seems so closed minded to me- it's what makes me question organized religion.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• What matters is what she does with that 'advice". She does have her own mind and can make her own choices. I would hope she would ignore such foolish talk, and be the real friend to you that she should be.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Good question ... I'm bumping for later.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• WOW how rude. I grew up as a hristian but am no longer with that religion and my family has always been more of a live and let live kinda people. As long as you are a good person and are not getting yourself locked up and crap like that then you are a good person.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• are you somehow responsible for her being a battered woman? were you the abuser? no, you're just her friend. i don't see how your or anyone's influence is going to be detrimental to her recovery, unless you answered 'yes' to my 2 questions. (which were, of course, slightly sarcastic, as i'm sure the answer's were 'no'.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am a Christian...and NO, I would NOT tell her that! That is just bigotted (sp?)! Now, if you were influencing her to do drugs or alcohol, then I might say something (and might question if there was a big change in physical apperance, like hair dyed pink, and all of a sudden dressing punk or something), but not because of your beliefs and lifestyle! If you're being a friend, allowing her to be who she is, then there is no problem. The Scriptures they probably used were the "unequally yoked" ones...but there's also, "judge not lest ye be judged" and somewhere I think there is a "hate the sin, love the sinner" (by Christian beliefs, paganism and bisexualism is sin, but so is a multitude of others).
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 6:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Oh yeah... It's all your fault! She's living in a shelter and was a victim of abuse all because YOU are a Bisexual Pagan! You evil evil woman! **Sarcasm**

Seriously, I know places like this mean well, but come on, just ridiculous!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I do not agree at all - and I am Christian, lol. I'm more of a live and let live kind of person, and I feel that someone in that situation needs all the support and positive relationships she can get - so what if you're not a Christian or if you're not heterosexual, if you're being a good friend they should be happy that she has someone there for her.

So I disagree completely.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Without knowing what was actually said, I don't see how ANYONE can either agree or disagree with it.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010