Insurance Question. Does this make sense?

Okay so I called my insurance company because I just turned 55 to find out about coverage of a colonoscopy. I was to it would need a prescription and then would be our normal $40 preventative care co-pay. I thought awesome! $40 that's easy enough. Then the 'but' came into play. If they do the colonoscopy and actually find something it is then a procedure and No longer basic preventative care. I would have to be billed and pay out of pocket. She's says though 'the good news is it will count towards your deductible.' I'm thinking 'THAT'S good news? If it turns out I DO have a problem you aren't going to cover it at all?' What's the difference? The procedure is the same either way. I mean charge for whatever else they do BECAUSE of what they found. Sure that makes sense at least. That's additional.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Health

• I work at an insurance co. Not in the claims or customer service dept. but I'll try to be helpful. I should think that the colonoscopy itself should be paid as preventative care. If they found say a colon polyp that they remove and biopsy right there, then that charge should be charged seperate. I would call back and speak to someone else just to be sure. I have never heard of them doing it that way. But then again, every company and policy is different. Good luck!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010