Are you wary when you buy baby/children items because of product recalls?

With this being my 3rd baby, I'm constantly wary of purchasing different items because I'm worried they will be recalled for this, that, or the other reason. Cribs, strollers, carseats, even formula (I know there's more like lead paint with toys, etc). It seems like nothing's safe anymore. Are companies making items that just manage to slide by safety regulations/standards? Aren't quality assurance employees hired for a reason? And how does this keep happening? It seems like every month there's a new item recalled for some sort of safety hazard. I'm by no means a paranoid person, but it just makes you think when you're out buying that new crib or stroller....is this product going to be next?

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 7:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am with you 100%. I just had to buy a new crib for my 4th baby, because my 3rd ended up breaking it when she was still in there, but it would have been recalled by now anyway. I was to the point where I didn't even want to buy a crib for this one because of all the recalls, but I did a lot of searching before I settled for one. I am always worried about car seats being recalled...it just seems like they don't make products with the same quality as they used to.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nope, never. We buy what we choose and should it be recalled (nothing ever has been) we deal with it. But no, I have never worried about it. If it happens it happens, I don't live in fear of what might be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have my concerns, but we avoid the products that bother me the most, such as formula. We research the safety of baby gear as well as we can and stick with reputable brands like Chicco, but still...there are no guarantees.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm like Sabrina.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sometimes products are recalled because the parents chose to use the product incorrectly. Like the bumbo seats being put on table tops.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• In that case, the parents should be recalled hehehe
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nope.  I never even think about it.  I don't worry about stuff I can't control.  And most of the things I've seen recalled are because parents are stupid and use them incorrectly or could be fixed with a warning (not sending the item back).  You know like dangerous toys because one tiny piece MIGHT come off.  Well, common sense says take the tiny piece off before it falls off and carry on.  No need to freak out and demand a refund.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010