Those who work 2nd or 3rd shifts

How much noise do you make when you leave? Our neighbors work 2nd and 3rd shifts and every night at 5 and 10 they stomp through the house several times and slam all the doors at least 3 times each. The front door gets slammed open and shut about 5 times each time they leave. Then they stomp down the porch stairs and run back up and slam the door again and then stomp down and slam their car doors 3 times. It actually shakes our side of the house (duplex) and can be heard over the TV. They also allow their 2 year old son to stomp through the house and run and yell between 8 and 9 pm...when DD is trying to go to sleep. It's so bad, I would rather be curled up in our bed with my head under the pillows than do any cooking or cleaning. They have the kid up at 8 am to take a walk, then he sleeps half the day, and 3, 4:00 comes around and he's making noise again. Also, who has 3 people in the bathroom having a party at 11 am?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 7:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are you renting? You can contact the landlord. If you both signed the same lease, then the level of noise should be at a minimum during certain hours. I would hate to have to rock the boat, but you have as much right to quiet as the next person. I used to work 3rd shift, but thankfully the area I lived at I did not have problems an kept noise down. How would they like that you stomp through the house at times you know they are sleeping and resting? Have you tried talking to them yet?
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes, we rent, but we didn't sign a lease. They are supposed to be moving eventually (their other place fell through), but this is every night, so it's leaving. We try to keep noise down during the day, but DD does throw tantrums and argues with me, and DH is partially deaf. We've tried talking to them, but they refuse to respond. It started off bad, anyway. DH moved in first with an air mattress so he could cut travel costs (2 hours worth), and they pounded on the walls when he blew it up his first night at 9. DH also knocked on the door the other day to see if they'd give him a jump for the car, but even though the inside door was open, they refused to come out (the kid's aunt watches him during the day). I've been outside playing with DD and DS, and all they do is stare out the windows at us. The kid said "bye" to us once, and the mother quickly strapped him in, glared at us, and slammed the door.
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Some people are just rude. I work nights, and though we have a house and a little bit of land, I still make sure I lower my radio when I enter our neighborhood. I turn off my headlights before I turn into our driveway. But I am a bit of a nut about being considerate to others. Not many other people share this philosophy, as evidence by my asshole neighbors who like to ride their dirt bikes down our streets at 9pm and wake up our son. It does get better when you can buy your own place, or at least rent a house. But I don't think it will EVER be quiet enough for my liking.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Some landlords actually set it up where everyone in the building works the same shifts. It's perfectly natural for them to make that much noise, (as you do during the day) because that's their day hours. Yes, it's very inconvenient for you, but they are not doing anything wrong. Strictly a different lifestyle.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010