why so important to be the only kid with that name?

I hear it all the time.
'I named my kid this because I thought it was unique, now there's another kid with that name in my kids class'
and?
There is no way to truly prevent someone else from having a particular name. I question how 'truly unique' most any name is.

reminds me of a picture on a hot vacation spot that lots of people took. A big rock with a big hole by one of the great lakes. people would position their picture so the lake was seen through the hole.
everyone thought they were the only ones to take that picture and it was so original-
until they found out that the lab saw that picture about 30 times a week easy, and several hundred over the year.
why not just pick a name that you like and is special to you, then give that name to your child?
Isn't that reason enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no idea! My daughter's name is pretty common (Victoria), but it suits her very well. Most of the time, unique names are too unique-too difficult to spell and/or to pronounce. I feel for the children.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Because I am a Jessica. Having 3 Jessica's in the same class year after year was so annoying. Jennifer's too. So now there are only 2 Tatjana's, 4 Sydneys, and zero Silvers in the whole school. Much easier to know the teacher means you and not the other kid with your name.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I didn't want unusual, but I didn't want popular either. My kids have good solid names that have been around for years, but they aren't in the top 50 names.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• because it's much easier to call on a kid in class without using their last name to decipher who's being referred to. I was the only Michell with my spelling, but one of 20 in the whole building. Also having kids with extremely common names can encourage awful nicknames (fat mike, dirty mike, bad mike, mike who picks his nose....you get the picture)
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 7:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yeah..my son's name is pretty unique but i chose it because it was one of my good friends in highschools name. I LOVED his name so i stole it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Our kids names all have meaning to us. BUT, we always made sure they weren't super common either. I wanted something that meant something to us, but that was not common, and that was still not unheard of either... When I was growing up names like Jennifer and Sarah were WAY to popular, there was always at least 2 or 3 to a classroom with that name... I just hate the idea that my kid could be one in a crowd that way. On the other hand I didn't want something that I couldn't connect with and I didn't want something that was so off the wall that they were embarrassed by it or that no one could pronounce...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have no idea. If it's that big of a deal, copyright it.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• SO true!! My dh bought the book "The Baby Name Wizard" and she has a whole chapter about that. Apparently everyone wants original names, but a whole generation grows up with the same influences from media, etc, so basically the whole generation likes the same sounding names. That is why certain names are so popular every year. I just heard that the names Edward and Isabella topped the charts last year. I wonder why..... ;)
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i thought it was crazy because his wife refused to name his son after him because i named my son that name. she said it was already "used" i thought she was crazy..its not like he fathered my child...i just liked his name
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Heather was very, very popular in 1979 when my son was born. I bet there were 3 or 4 Heathers in some classes. I named my boys easy names but not necessarily popular; Benjamin, Joseph, and Thomas. I always called them Ben, Joe, and Tom. Ben doesn't like his name that much but Joe and Tom like their names. For awhile when Ben was around 10 he told people his name was Ryan. We homeschooled so we never has the issues with other people in the class.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010