Question for Catholics:

Do you personally believe in Letter of the Law or Spirit of the Law interpretation of Christianity?
(I am Catholic, also)

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't know exactly what you are asking, however I would say for the most part I believe in the spirit of the law. I'm not a literal Bible believer, I think the stories are trying to teach lessons and the passages have to be put in context of the message, time and events. I think if you try to memorize Bible passages only you lose the important details of the lessons that are being taught.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If I understand what you are asking, I would say both. Jesus blasted the Pharisees for following the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law. I think He wanted them to do both. He wanted them to tithe and observe the Sabbath, but He also wanted them to show people kindness and mercy.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No. I do not believe in Dogma. I honestly believe that it is a way that religion (which is man made) can control what they perceive to be "right". I also do not believe that the Bible is the exact Word of God. I believe that there is truth in some laws made by man and that their is truth to be found in the Bible. However, I absolutely believe that the Word of God is found in the kindness, wisdom, forgiveness and opendmindedness of man. And that only bigots and cowards cower behind the bible and dogma in order to bolster their piety.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I believe that the Bible is a wonderful man-made book that has been handed down for centuries for the betterment of mankind. I believe in a mystical Jesus and God. There is so much more out there than we can fully comprehend right now. But as most are aware, we are learning more and more each day. Science is finding smaller and smaller worlds, discovering more about the depths of the oceans and breath of outer space. We have always questioned why we are here? What is our purpose? Living as the Bible suggests allows mankind to survive mankind's inclination for violence, the destruction of the animal kingdom and our resources.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2010