Is Jesus really God?

John1 explains the idea behind Jesus and God being one, but I know other religions that reference the bible don't believe this. What scriptures back up this theory?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 8:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• He's all of it. All man and all God, not half and half or one or the other but both at the same time. He's the Son of God and God in the flesh.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No one really knows for sure. A lot of problems occured because back in the day when the bible was being put together because people couldn't decide if he was or was not
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• One in purpose.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The way I explained it to my Sunday school class several years ago was to think of the trinity (God, Jesus and Holy Spirit) as an egg - three parts to one whole. An egg has a shell, white and yolk. You can separate the parts, but all three work together to make up the egg. So, no, Jesus is not God, but he is part of the Trinity with God.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Jesus is God's Son, and God the Son. You can look at writings from the very early Church to see that they believed this (I think Ignatius of Antioch wrote about this in about 110 A.D., before the canon of Scripture was set). This confirms that that was the teaching of the Apostles who knew Jesus and witnessed His life and miracles.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I believe its how you read it. I don't believe in a literal interpretation. And I'm Christian - there are many kinds of NonTrinitarians within Christianity. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The Catholics and Protestants believe that Jesus is part of the Holy Trinity, saying that God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are One.

I am Catholic and believe that Jesus was profit sent to bring me, a Catholic, closer to God. I believe that he was sent by God, because the people that I am from would be able to understand a closer way to him. That being said, I was raised being told that Moses was sent to the Jewish people in order to bring them closer to God, Mohamed was sent to the Muslims in order to bring them closer to God, and that Agnostics, Atheists, etc were sent people that demonstrated a peaceful and moral spirit that brought them closer to "God".
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm not sure
    MamaC24210

Answer by MamaC24210 at 3:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• just a nice guy that lived 2000 yrs ago and like all legends, the stories got totally twisted and added to over time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

Jesus is as he himself said, God's SON. Not God. Not equal to God....
    m01r4

Answer by m01r4 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010