Mindless Eating and Wasted Leftovers....

I'm kinda ashamed to admit this, but i'm one of those people who will eat my kids leftovers because it kills me to just throw it in the trash. So....i'm eating way too much to say the least.
Another one of my problems is the mindless eating where you go to the fridge or the kitchen to get something to eat without thinking about it.
How do I stop? does anyone else have this problem? What has helped you? I have small children so i'm kept busy...but I guess not as busy as I thought...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Figure out how many calories you need to reach your goal weight (or to maintain your current weight), and start keeping track of your calories. So the mindless eating will no longer be "mindless" because you'll know how many calories you have consumed, and how many you have left for the day.

Give your kids smaller portions so there's no leftover food on the plates. If they want a second helping, they can ask for more.
    Anonymous

• put leftovers in the fridge and save it for them later.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 8:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I do this and I think I picked the habit up from my Grandma since she raised me and used to do the same thing. I found that when I cook I cook just what I want to eat and if I make extra I portion it out and freeze it right away for another meal. But the more I cook the more I want to eat so if you cook just enough for one helping each you aren''t as tempted.
    cutie222

Answer by cutie222 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Use smaller plates for everone, and don't pile the food on, use smaller portions and if the kids want more, they can have more so you won't be tempted to eat their leftovers. Refrigerate leftover immediately, if you need to mindlessly eat, only eat raw veggies or fresh fruit.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I eat my kiddos left overs too-what I do is give them a portion I think they'll eat and give myself a smaller portion then I know I want. so when they do not finish I eat theirs and fill myself up or if they do finish theirs I get myself more:) As for the mindless snacking? Have carrots cut up and grab those instead of something bad for you or ask yourself, "why am I eating?" I do both and am at my ideal weight (well not right now because I am prego, lol;p but I know I'll get back there easily)!
    8sweetpea

Answer by 8sweetpea at 9:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• First, serve smaller portions. You can always serve seconds if necessary. Second, keep a food journal. Write down everything you are about to eat. That will stop the mindless fridge grazing.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2010