Is this a normal sound for a dog? Like a screaming tea kettle?

I accidentally kicked my small dog hard in the head. You know how they always get under foot and are right in the way while you are trying to move throughout the house. Anyways, the dog literally screamed so loud and hi-pitched that it scared the crap put of me and everybody in my husband's office (we were on the phone at the time) heard the dog scream. I can't properly explain this noise. It was a long winded /hi-pitched /tea kettle/ top of the lungs/ scream. The dog is part chihuahua part min pin.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 8:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pets

• It is a characteristic of chihauhaus. You can probably get him to do it again by howling yourself to the dog. We do it with ours. But we call it singing. lol
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Anything's possible. How is he acting right now? If he acts alright, I would assume maybe he was just startled.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a Maltese. Every night when my husband comes in the door, she starts in with this high pitched scream. You'd think we were killing the dog! The rest of the time, she's very quiet. Something about getting so excited when she sees him. We also had a Irish Setter who would scream like a woman if we put her outside on a chain. She was an indoor dog. Spoiled rotten! Now, some would tell you that you can get one of those collars that gives them a little zap when they do that. But I think its more fun to sing with them!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 3:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2010