When do you start lactating?

when do you normally start lactating during your pregnancy? It's been about 3 yrs since I've been pregnant and can't remember.

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 8:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• with my last pregnancy i started lactating before i even knew i was pregnant. it was actually a sign that i needed to take a test. but i also nurse with my other 2
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You actually don't start lactating until a few days after the placenta detatches from the uterine wall. You start making colostrum (which is very different from milk and more closely resembles blood on a cellular level) sometime in your second or third trimester, though some women never notice it. With my first pregnancy I leaked colostrum starting at 20 weeks, with my second I never did. Just an example.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• With baby 1 I started lactating a few months in, my breasts hurt right off the bat, and that's actually how I knew I was pregnant. With baby 2 I'm 25 weeks, and still nothing, I don't even hardly know they are there except for the fact that my 2 yr old has noticed they are growing and says boobies all the time! lol! kids!
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 8:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• mom of 4 never did during my pregnancy
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010