If CA legalizes pot, the fed is still going after users...(vigorously)

Who has the rights here, the state or the fed? Are drug laws Constitutional?

Why or why not?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm no Coustitutional scholar but from everything I have read the drug war is unConstitutional and drug laws should be left up to the states. I'll defer to someone who knew more than I do, he even wrote a book about it. "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do; The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Nation" by Peter McWilliams. LINK

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• There's more to it but this quote sums it up pretty nicely:

Nowhere in the Enumeration of Powers is there anything remotely resembling "regulation of personal or public morality," "making sure no citizens hurt themselves by experimental, reckless, or even downright foolhardy behavior," or "bringing God's laws to Earth as God's laws are interpreted by whichever religious group gathers enough political power." The Enumeration of Powers gives the government the power to run the government, not the personal or religious lives of the people.

Friday

• Of course the Feds will still go after non rx mj users in Cali. The powers that be are beholden to industries that stand to lose money if mj/hemp are legal. Don't wanna upset their donors. Hell, on Obamas Change.org site he had people list their main issue and then vote on the issues. Legalizing mj and hemp were voted #1 last year and he never siad a word.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Friday summed up all of my thoughts well.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I thought medicinal marijuana was legal there. Are you talking about legalizing it in general?? I don't watch the news....ever. So not sure what you are talking about.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I had a quick look at my handy pocket copy of the Constitution.......don't see anything in it about drugs, medications or even plants! I suppose this one belongs to the states. I think there are a LOT of laws that belong solely with the states!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I feel this one should be in the hands of the state. The feds have enough control over us, and as far as I knew, they were originally only supposed to deal with making sure the states stayed constitutional.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• its at state discretion
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The govt has no right in anything related to health care or controlling what adults do to their bodies.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010